Monday, December 12, 2011


Sunday afternoon we went over to a friends house to BBQ for dinner and of course we brought little Nixon. My buddy hadn't seen Nixon yet and wanted to hold him. When Nixon meets new people he gets really excited and when you are holding him he gets really squirmy and wants to lick your whole face, which makes it hard to hold him. Well, Nixon was just out of control and just too excited and got away from my buddy and fell on the ground and hit his head pretty good. He seemed okay and normal, wanting to run around and play. About 20 minutes later he wasn't himself. He became very sleepy and lethargic and then threw up. Soon as he threw up I was thinking that he had a concussion from hitting his head. We became pretty concerned and wondered if we should get him checked out. Then he threw up again. I got on the phone and made a call to the Emergency Pet Clinic in Temecula and the said to definitely bring him in. While I was on the phone, Nixon threw up two more times. I then rushed home got my wallet and we took off to the see the vet. They checked him out as soon as we got there and his vitals were normal and they said that he was stable, but we still knew he wasn't feeling or acting right. After meeting with the Vet and going over options we decided that we wanted to keep him there for further monitoring so they could give him and IV and some medication to help prevent any swelling in the brain and alleviate any pain he might be having. By the time we had left the pet clinic Nixon had thrown up 9 times. Poor guy. We left the clinic around 6:30 last night hoping everything would be okay and that in the morning we would be able to pick him up. It was really weird to be home and not have Nixon running around, jumping on the couch, biting Brooke's feet and we missed him. We were about to go to bed and decided to call the clinic at about 9:30 to check on him to see how he was doing. The vet told us that he was doing wonderful and that we could come pick him up in 30 minutes if we wanted. We put on our shoes and were out the door to bring him home. All the nurses loved Nixon and were having a great time playing with him. He was back to normal, running around licking your face and wanting to play. The extra fluids and medication helped. When we got home he wanted to play and eat like nothing ever happened. He is a tough little guy. Brooke said he takes after me, referring to the concussion. I thought it was pretty funny. He is home now and doing just fine, but gave us a little scare. Thanks to all our family and friends that kept him in their thoughts and prayers.

1 comment:

  1. So very glad to hear he is doing better. I was really worried and know how it scares you when they are hurt. He is just adorable and can't help but love the little guy!